One of the fun parts of my business is to play detective!
I track down the names of established physician entrepreneurs, using a combination of scanning health news digests (such as Health Leaders Media), Google alerts and weekly searches done through my HighBeam Library subscription.
The next step usually is to google the names I come up with, using all my available ingenuity, to sniff out their contact information. Sometimes this even involves e-mailing a journalist or writer.
My communication with them has to be sufficiently compelling to induce them to give up thirty minutes of their precious time for a good cause - inspiring people like you and me!
Most times, because these are generous people who want other physicians to succeed as entrepreneurs, I prevail in uncovering the prize........ a coveted recorded interview with them!
I engage in this detective work to unearth these "stars" for a few reasons:
- It is a sheer delight to interview these talented and driven people.
- I feel as if I am forging a new set of relationships that I value a great deal. Occasionally, I am able to hook some of them up with each other....which feels good.
- I am privileged to learn from them, and plan in turn share those insights with you.
- I am struck by the common themes I hear in the interviews - the most prevalent being, "I want to feel as if I can make a genuine contribution to the world, and it felt as though this business has become a better way to do it than practicing medicine full time".
- I am equally struck by all the different ways these physicians have chosen to express their creativity and talents.
- All the interviewees seem to enjoy stopping briefly to reflect on their accomplishments - they tell me they had fun doing the interview. And that feels really good!
This week, I shall be interviewing Dr Tom Lee, co-founder of ePocrates. As you can imagine, I am excited to hear his story.
And in a few weeks, I shall be making available the first volume of Conversations with Trailblazers, a compilation of six audio interviews, with transcripts - so stayed tuned to hear more.
If you know of another successful physician entrepreneur for me to contact, please e-mail me with his or her name at philippa@entrepreneurialMD.com. Thanks.